Margherita Pizza: Absolutely Authentic
• 1/2 cup lukewarm water
• 1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast
• 1/2 teaspoon honey
• 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• Crushed tomatoes, pureed
• Fresh mozzarella
• Fresh basil leaves
1. Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.
2. In a large bowl, mix the water, honey and yeast together and let that sit for 10 minutes or when it starts to get a bit foamy. Meanwhile, prepare your
other ingredients. Everything needs to be measured for a quick transfer of the dough to the pizza stone.
3. Ten minutes later, stir in the salt and flour mix with the yeast mixture and keep stirring till the dough sticks together. Do this first by a spoon and then with your hands. The dough needs to be silky, so add some flour if it is sticky, adding 1 tablespoon of flour as needed. Knead it with your hands and let it be for 5 minutes.
4. The dough needs to be rolled as thin as possible; it needs to be at least 10 inches. If it springs back, let it sit for another 5 – 10 minutes.
The pizza peel needs to be floured really well – transfer the thin dough to the peel by folding the dough in half, transfer it then unfold it quickly – however, since you are probably baking at home in a conventional oven, use the same method for a pizza tray.
5. Add your toppings, and bake the pizza for about 10-15 minutes. It will be done when the crust looks crispy and cheese looks golden.
6. Let it cool before slicing.
Keep up to date with Hello! Pakistan and Grazia Pakistan, subscribe now!