Egg-In-The-Basket for Breakfast, Inspired by the film V is For Vendetta
Remember that scene where V serves Evey a scrumptious breakfast of egg-in-the-basket? I was so intrigued by it that I had to look up the recipe online. I now make it almost every other day for breakfast, blessing V for this one! Hands down, the best films ever made.
- Big, fresh slice of bread
- 1 egg
- 2-3 tablespoon of unsalted butter
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
Tools: A cookie cutter or a round lid of a jar
- Using a sharp cookie cutter, cut out an even round circle on the bread. Make sure the bread slice is big and fresh.
- In a pan, toast the bread slice with butter on both sides. Let the bread turn slightly golden.
- Place a tablespoon full of butter in the hole and as it starts to melt, gently break the egg in the hole. (Try not to mess up the yolk, that’s the beauty of the recipe!).
- At this point, I turn the heat low to medium to let the egg cook, dribbling in some more butter if needed.
- Some people like to flip the slice to cook it thoroughly on both sides, I like mine sunny-side up!
- Sprinkle salt and pepper. Serve